In a perfect world, all product would fit on standard size pallets. Easy to load, unload and to store. But running a warehouse is not a perfect world, and product comes in all shapes and sizes. So what do you do with the odd shaped items, those that are too long, too large, too much for good use of traditional shelving?
You use cantilever racks.
Cantilever racks are gaining in popularity and are found in most warehouses today. A common industrial storage system, it stores items like lumber, pipes, steel, tubing, furniture and other unusual items. They consist of a base with upright columns, along which are placed arms inclined at an angle to secure the load. Cantilever racks are made from different types of material, most often roll formed and structural steel for durability and strength. They can be used indoors or outdoors, and free up floor space and traditional shelving space because they stack items vertically, making the most of available space.
If you think cantilever racks are the solution for your warehouse, consider these items when deciding for sure:
- What are you going to store?
- How long is the product?
- How wide is the product?
- How tall is the product?
- How much does each bundle of product weigh?
The answers to these questions will help you determine if cantilever racking makes sense when compared to the dimensions of your storage space.
Once you know cantilever racks will work, you need to decide the particulars of the racking, such as:
- What type of arm do you need?
- What incline will keep the product secure while allowing for ease of access?
- How long should the arm be?
- Do you want a pipe socket or lip type arm?
- What is the required arm capacity (divide weight of load by number of arms)?
- Do you want to load and unload from the front or from the sides?
- What is the height of the top load?
- How much your forklift lift?
Also consider items such as your ceiling height, sprinkler systems and local building codes when designing your cantilever racking placement. Atlantic Rack can help you determine all of these factors by working with our talented and experienced design team, if you need assistance.